Bulletproof meets Deep Nutrition.
The 108Strong nutrition plan is based on three main principles – fasting, state of ketosis (burning fat instead of glucose) and traditional ancestral cooking. It is an ancestral, cyclical ketogenic diet which incorporates IM (intermittent fasting) fasting. It is flexible, simple, it keeps evolving.
It took Elena, an Integrative Nutrition coach and practitioner, 8 years to get here. She was raised in a family where holistic and homeopathic healing was always the first option, all of her life she was interested in nutrition and it’s effect on health and finally, in the last 8 years, her passion became her life’s work. All the research and all the various diets, cleanses, fasts and supplements she has tried to heal her multiple autoimmune disorders led her to two modalities both of which ultimately encompass everything she has ever read and tried. Two visions which perfectly complement each other and are not just promoting a diet to follow, but an actual healing lifestyle. These to visionaries whose work Elena absolutely believes in are Dave Asprey founder of Bulletproof and author of The Bulletproof Diet, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent two decades and over $1 Million to hack his own biology, and Dr. Cate Shanahan a board certified Family Physician, with BS in biology from Rutgers University, she trained in biochemistry and genetics at Cornell University’s graduate school before attending Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Dr. Cate is also a creator and Director of the Los Angeles Lakers PRO Nutrition Program.
Elena who and her husband Coach K were both able to achieve the highest state of health and vitality following Bulletproof Diet. Elena’s AI conditions are all completely dormant. You can read more about the results and benefits of the diet here.
And finally in the Summer of 2018 Elena come across Dr. Cate’s book Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food. After applying the principles of the book Elena and K we able to improve their diet and lifestyle even further, especially recognizing tremendous benefits for their growing kids.
Some of the most important principles of Bulletproof and Deep Nutrition diet combo are:
- Eating a clean toxin-free diet (organic, grass-fed, wild where possible).
- Fasting – balancing Insulin and other hormones, healing gut.
- Ketosis – adapting to burning fat for fuel.
- High fat intake (clean fats) – no harmful seed oils – soy, canola, cottonseed, sunflower, corn or safflower oil. Cooking with only traditional natural fats and oils such as avocado oil, olive oil, lard, butter, and ghee.
- Exclude most sugar/sweeteners in all forms – to avoid inflammations (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries are okay)
- Cooking traditional foods/meals, lots of bone broth with veggies.
To summarize here are the benefits we as a family have noticed: (and for the record, Elena is 45, Coach K is 56, kids are 10 and 20)
- Elena’s autoimmune conditions are completely dormant.
- K has noticed that regular bouts of pain due to inflammation in his knees, hands, and shoulders are getting less intense and go away within 2 days without any medication, while in the past it would take 10-14 days with anti-inflammatory medication. Very physical nature of his work and age were major factors contributing to joint pain and muscle fatigue. He was not able to recover as fast as he can now.
- weight loss.
- more energy.
- better, deeper sleep.
- waking up refreshed and energized.
- no cravings.
- no hunger in the morning and early afternoon.
- making better choices in what we eat (due to lack of cravings and hunger).
- eat less during meals (first, there is less time in which we can consume food, and we fill up faster due to fat, cannot eat as much as we used to).
- no heavy feeling after a meal.
- no gas.
- saving money on food – we do not eat that much food anymore (my husband is doing my diet now as well, after noticing how great it was for me). In our case food was the biggest expense, since we buy mostly organic and grass-fed and such. Now with fewer meals and smaller portions we actually had to make a major adjustment to our buying habits, as the food was going to waste. By the way – smaller portions are not encouraged nor required – there is no limit to how much you eat, but there no more cravings and satisfaction comes much faster, we naturally eat less.
- our skin – it is more supple, less papery. We have noticed too the redness and dryness going away.
For more detailed information please read this article.