This is great. The ultimate question – to multivitamin or not to multivitamin 🙂
Why do we take multivitamins? I know for me it is all about prevention. I want to make sure my family and I, receive all the necessary nutrients to stay healthy, to support our bodies and our organs, to maintain strong immune system and keep it all in balance.
- I can never be sure, especially with my kids, that they eat enough of vegetables, fruits and berries.
- Even if they do eat plenty, is there enough variety to get all the necessary nutrients the body needs to grow and stay healthy?
- The produce I buy at the supermarket and even at the local farm store had to travel for days to get here and the level of nutrients is depleted. To get the most out of our fruits, vegetables and berries, we have to eat them as fresh as possible.
- It costs a lot of money to buy all organic and all locally grown – and still it may not be as fresh as I would like it to be.
- Also cooking vs. eating raw – if most vegetable we eat are cooked – do we still get the full nutritious value of these vegetables?
- Even when juicing, I consume limited variety of produce, and much still depends on its’ freshness.
According to Dr Katz, we still need the nutritional support system but it needs to be based on whole-food and Juice Plus+ (he provides a link to it in the article) according to him is one such supplement:
“Such products are “humble” in the sense that they don’t presume to know how to combine nutrients — they let nature do it. They simply compress the nutrients from healthful foods into pill form so that those who don’t eat quite as they should — including children — can fill in the gaps”
– the next best thing to fruits and vegetables.
Read the actual article here – David Katz, M.D.: Is It Time To Stop Taking A Multivitamin?
To your health!