Little known “big” vitamin K2.
This is a great complete resource for vitamin K2 education. Dr. Mercola interviews Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue, the author of Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox book. Dr Kate is a naturopathic doctor, which in Canada is a licensed primary care physician. Great interview and very important information.
The summary of the story:
- Vitamin K2 is an important fat-soluble vitamin that plays critical roles in protecting your heart and brain, and building strong bones. It also plays an important role in cancer protection
- The biological role of vitamin K2 is to help move calcium into the proper areas in your body, such as your bones and teeth. It also helps remove calcium from areas where it shouldn’t be, such as in your arteries and soft tissues
- The optimal amounts of vitamin K2 are still under investigation, but it seems likely that 180 to 200 micrograms of vitamin K2 might be enough to activate your body’s K2-dependent proteins to shuttle calcium to the proper areas
- If you take oral vitamin D, you also need to take vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 deficiency is actually what produces the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity, which includes inappropriate calcification that can lead to hardening of your arteries
- If you take a calcium supplement, it’s important to maintain the proper balance between calcium, vitamin K2, vitamin D, and magnesium. Lack of balance between these nutrients is why calcium supplements have become associated with increased risk of heart attack and stroke
A few weeks ago I heard Dr. Kate’s interview and immediately ordered Vitamin K2 for my family. This is the one I got – NUTRIGOLD. As per Dr. Kate :
- it needs to be made from a natural source – a Japanese fermented food – Natto, so when you buy K2, make sure you are getting a MK-7 form of it. MK-4 is a synthetic version and you do not want that.
- the dose is 200 mcg a day.
- K2 is not toxic, so you do not have to worry about testing for K2 levels prior to taking it.
- I do make sure it is a non-GMO product.
Please read the full story, video as well as see the full interview transcript here.
To your health,